Skip to main content
Skip to main menu Skip to spotlight region Skip to secondary region Skip to UGA region Skip to Tertiary region Skip to Quaternary region Skip to unit footer


Transfer Students: Credit Transfers

In some circumstances, UGA will allow you to transfer credits for chemistry courses taken at another institution. 

Note:  credit transfer is not dependent on the curriculum or content of the courses.


There are two types of credit transfer: Direct Transfer, or a Testing-Based Transfer. Follow these steps to determine which applies to your situation.

  1. Did you take and pass a face-to-face chemistry course from a single institution that included both lecture and lab that totaled 4 credits? 
    • At some schools, these are combined into a single 4-credit course. 
    • The Department does not accept online classes for credit transfer.
    • The Department does not accept eCore classes for credit transfer.
    • The Department does not accept transfers for the lecture alone, or the lab alone. 
    • Both the lecture and lab must have been taken at the same institution.  

      If No, you are not eligible for a credit transfer.  You will need to take the courses in question.

  2. ​​Are you transferring from a school that is in the University System of Georgia? (see
  • If Yes, was the course you took at your former school numbered: Chem 1211, Chem 1212, Chem 1110, Chem 1151, Chem 1311, or Chem 1312?
    • If Yes, you qualify for a Direct Transfer. It will be handled by the Registrar's Office. Send an email requesting the transfer to Jason Emond in the Registrar’s Office: with the following information:
      • MyID
      • 810 number
      • A copy of your transcript from the original institution, or,
      • An image of your grade report that shows your name, the name of the institution, the dates, and the grade achieved.
      • The credits will be transferred without further action from the Chemistry Department.

   If you need the course in question as a prerequisite, it must appear on your record first.

   The Chemistry Department cannot expedite that process -- contact the Registrar's Office directly.

  • If the course did not have that number, you do NOT qualify for a Direct Transfer. See ACS Exams.

If your school was NOT in the University System of Georgia, you do NOT qualify for a Direct Transfer. See ACS Exams.

Contact Us

Requests for information or support are handled through email exchange with the General Chemistry Administrator. Send all email to Do NOT send requests to any other email address; doing so will delay your support by 2 to 5 business days.

Allow one full business day for a reply. If, for example, you send a request at 6 PM on a Wednesday, it will be received the following morning, and a reply can be generally expected one business day later, which would be Friday morning. Do not send additional emails on the same topic; this will delay your support by 1 to 3 business days. 

You must include your full name, MyID, and 810 number on all email. If any of this information is missing, the email will be returned without action, resulting in a delay.

All credit transfer and overrides require that you attach a copy of your transcript. If you do not have an official transcript yet, you may send a screen shot of the unofficial grade report or online transcript. The screen shot must show the following information:

  • Name of the institution.
  • Name of the student
  • Year and semester
  • The course number (e.g. “CHEM 3456”) and title (e.g. “Inorganic Chemistry”).
  • Grade

If the transcript is not attached, the email will be returned without action, resulting in a delay.

Support Us

We appreciate your financial support. Your gift is important to us and helps support critical opportunities for students and faculty alike, including lectures, travel support, and any number of educational events that augment the classroom experience. Click here to learn more about giving.

Every dollar given has a direct impact upon our students and faculty.

Got More Questions?

Undergraduate inquiries: 

Registration and credit

AP Credit, Section Changes, Overrides,

Graduate inquiries:

Contact Us!

Assistant to the Department Head: Donna Spotts, 706-542-1919 

Main office phone: 706-542-1919 

Main Email:

Head of Chemistry: Prof. Jason Locklin