Early detection of infectious diseases with point-of-care (POC) diagnostics is vital to provide proper treatment for patients especially in developing countries.1 Point-of-care (POC) diagnostics are generally in vitro diagnostic tests that can be carried out without the need of trained personnel and facilities. Samples of blood, urine, saliva or other bodily fluids are tested to detect targets that will be able to provide us with rapid results.2 This would be particularly useful in developing countries that are lacking the required infrastructure. Microfluidic technologies have the potential as promising methods for POC diagnostics as it is disposable, low-cost and portable and generally fairly easy to be used.3 In recent times, connected POC diagnostic devices have been on the rise. Coupling microfluidics with consumer electronics will be able to allow necessary laboratory-based diagnostics to be accessible to patients, particularly in low-resource settings.4 In this talk, the fabrication and recent POC applications for HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and gonorrhea will be discussed.5-7
(1) Kozel, T. R.; Burnham-Marusich, A. R. J Clin Microbiol 2017, 55, 2313-2320.
(2) Gubala, V.; Harris, L. F.; Ricco, A. J.; Tan, M. X.; Williams, D. E. Anal Chem 2012, 84, 487-515.
(3) Lee, W. G.; Kim, Y. G.; Chung, B. G.; Demirci, U.; Khademhosseini, A. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2010, 62, 449-457.
(4) Wang, S.; Tasoglu, S.; Chen, P. Z.; Chen, M.; Akbas, R.; Wach, S.; Ozdemir, C. I.; Gurkan, U. A.; Giguel, F. F.; Kuritzkes, D. R.; Demirci, U. Sci Rep 2014, 4, 3796.
(5) Laksanasopin, T.; Guo, T. W.; Nayak, S.; Sridhara, A. A.; Xie, S.; Olowookere, O. O.; Cadinu, P.; Meng, F.; Chee, N. H.; Kim, J.; Chin, C. D.; Munyazesa, E.; Mugwaneza, P.; Rai, A. J.; Mugisha, V.; Castro, A. R.; Steinmiller, D.; Linder, V.; Justman, J. E.; Nsanzimana, S., et al. Sci Transl Med 2015, 7, 273re271.
(6) Tsaloglou, M. N.; Nemiroski, A.; Camci-Unal, G.; Christodouleas, D. C.; Murray, L. P.; Connelly, J. T.; Whitesides, G. M. Anal Biochem 2017, 543, 116-121.
(7) Cho, S.; Park, T. S.; Nahapetian, T. G.; Yoon, J. Y. Biosens Bioelectron 2015, 74, 601-611.